BizTalk Server 2020 – 20 days, 20 posts: BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Wizard for BizTalk Server 2020
BizTalk Server 2020 – 20 days, 20 posts – day 5. I will finish my challenge regardless of all these constraints we are facing, and that limits our free time. So, while my wife was sleeping our cute little monster yesterday, I was able to migrate this tool and test it to be compatible with BizTalk Server 2020. Today while she is doing the same, I’m publishing this productivity tool for those that love BizTalk Mapper as I do: BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Wizard. Once again, I hope you enjoy and find this tool useful.
BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Wizard
BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Wizard is a Custom Functoid Project Wizard for Visual Studio 2019. It allows you to create new Functoids project for BizTalk Server 2020 without having to create manually the project, in other words, having to manually create:
- A new class library project in Visual Studio;
- Add a reference to the Microsoft.BizTalk.BaseFunctoids assembly;
- Add New Class and having to code the entire class;
This Wizard will do this process automatically, and used in conjunction with Item Template for Visual Studio: Custom BizTalk Functoid will facilitate and significantly expedite the development process of our projects.
BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Wizard Installation
To use this project template download the executable files available on the Installation Files folder and run the setup file.
Once you run the setup file follow these steps:
- On the Welcome to the BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Template Setup Wizard screen, click Next.
- On the Select Installation Folder screen, select the folder where you want to install the Wizard and select the option Everyone. Click Next to continue.
- On the Confirm Installation screen, confirm your intent to install by clicking Next.
- On the Installation Complete screen, click close and the installation is complete.
Now you can see a new BizTalk project Wizard on Visual Studio 2019. Unfortunately, Visual Studio 2019 has a completely different look and fill and you will not be able to see this project under “BizTalk” projects in your Visual Studio 2019, instead, you need to search for it or scroll down to find it.
I still need to find a way to solve this limitation or release a different approach to solve this issue and have a more friendly approach.
Create New Functoid Project
To create a new functoid using this project template choose the option BizTalk Server Functoid Project in Visual Studio 2019 and a Wizard will pop-up. Follow the requirements of this wizard to create the Functoid.
- In the Start screen, click Next to continue.
- In the General Project Properties screen, fill the Functoid class name, namespace and create or select a new Strong Key (you can use an existing one). Click Next to continue.
- In the Functoid Properties screen, define the Functoid ID (must be greater than 10000), the functoid name, the tooltip (short description) and description (full description). Click Next to continue.
- In the second Functoid Properties screen, choose the functoid category and the implementation language (the language in which you want to implement your functoid behavior code): C# or VB.NET. Click Next to continue.
- In the Functoid Parameters and Connection Type” screen, define the functoid function name, function inputs and types and output and types. Click Next to continue.
- On the final screen, click Finish to create the Visual Studio project.
Visual Studio will create a new Project based on your implementation language and definitions provided in the Wizard.
- Open the generated class and implement your code
This tool is also available for the following BizTalk Server versions:
- BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Wizard for BizTalk Server 2016
- BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Wizard for BizTalk Server 2010
You can download the source code from:
BizTalk MapperExtensions Functoid Wizard for BizTalk Server 2020