Microsoft has released BizTalk Server 2020 with a bunch of exciting new features.
To know more about the stirring features, look at our series of blogs
- What’s New in BizTalk Server 2020
- BizTalk Server 2020 – Why it’s a Game-Changer
- BizTalk Server 2020 – Operations and Administration Capability
- BizTalk Server 2020 – Features that Developers/Administrator can leverage
In this blog article, I will be covering an exciting new feature on how to send the BizTalk tracking data to Azure Event Hub and Application Insight.
You have configured various tracking options for orchestrations, send ports, receive ports, and pipelines using the BizTalk Server Administration console.
Follow the below Steps to Send the Tracking Data to Azure
As we know, if we enabled the tracking on the artifacts carefully, it gives us very helpful information to diagnose the issues without affecting performance. The same applies to enable analytics. It is very important that you plan as per your information needs but also for your performance needs.
Enable Analytics at the Environment Level
Enable group-level analytics by selecting BizTalk group settings. Select “Enable group-level analytics” and choose the target where you wish to push the data, either Application Insights or Event Hub, as you can see below.
Enable Analytics at Artifact Level
- Right-click on the artifacts (Sendport, Receive Location, Orchestrations) and enable tracking
- To start transmitting the tracking data to Azure, enable Analytics as below
Sending Your Tracking Data to Application Insights
Azure Applications Insights is a very popular Application Performance Management service, especially for web developers. It helps the developers to find performance issues with their applications and diagnose them.
- Sign in to the Azure portal, and create an Application Insights resource
- In the BizTalk group settings, select the target type as “Application Insights”
- Sign in to Azure portal and select the subscription to update Analytics -Application Insights details as shown below
Sending your tracking data to Event Hubs
- Sign in to the Azure portal, and create an event hub namespace
- In BizTalk group settings, select the target type as “Event Hub ”
- Sign in to Azure portal and select the subscription to update Analytics -Event Hub connection details as below
Once it’s done, you can view the data in the event log capture or you can configure the receive location with the Event Hub adapter and route it to the desired location. Since Event Hub capture is the easiest way to load/process streaming data into Azure, you can send/receive large volumes of messages between BizTalk Server and Azure Event Hubs using the Event Hub Adapter.
For instance, you can save and process all your tracking data in an Event Hub using the EventHub Adapter.
- You can configure the EventHub Adapter in a Receive Location to receive a message from Event Hubs. Configure the namespace and EventHub details as shown below. The publisher/subscriber can connect to the Event Hub by using a shared access signature token.
- Create a Send Port which listens to this Receive Location. The tracking data received from Eventhub will be similar to what is shown below.
Azure has solid data visualization offerings such as Power BI and the OMS portal. You can publish tracking data to Power BI and start visualizing data https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/core/configure-the-operational-data-feed-for-power-bi-with-biztalk-server.
BizTalk360 is now compatible with BizTalk Server 2020. Why not give BizTalk360 a try! It takes about 10 minutes to install on your BizTalk environments and you can witness and check the security and productivity of your own BizTalk Environments.