This post was originally published here

Last month I wrote a blog post regarding the “An internal failure occurred for unknown reasons (WinMgmt)” error in the BizTalk Server Administration Console caused by the July 10, 2018 Microsoft Security Updates, you can see the entire blog post here: July 10, 2018 Microsoft Security Updates cause errors on the BizTalk Administration Console: An internal failure occurred for unknown reasons (WinMgmt). In which I document a workaround to solve the following problem:

TITLE: BizTalk Server Administration


Failed to create a BizTalkDBVersion COM component installed with a BizTalk server.

Class not registered (WinMgmt)





An internal failure occurred for unknown reasons (WinMgmt)

And based on that you wouldn’t be able for example to: restart the host instances from the BizTalk Server Administration console.

Happy to inform you that Microsoft already released a new security update that will fix this problem.


As official documentation ( state: Applications that rely on .NET Framework to initialize a COM component and that run with restricted permissions may fail to start or run correctly after you install the July 2018 Security and Quality Rollup updates for .NET Framework.

Microsoft .NET Framework runtime uses the process token to determine whether the process is running within an elevated context. These system calls can fail if the required process inspection permissions are not present. This causes an “access denied” error.

After you install any of the July 2018 .NET Framework Security Updates, a COM component fails to load because of “access denied,” “class not registered,” or “internal failure occurred for unknown reasons” errors.

So, the cause of these problems was security updates that were released by Microsoft on July 10, 2018.


On July 30, 2018 Microsoft released new Security Updates that will fix these issues.

An internal failure occurred for unknown reasons (WinMgmt) fixed

To solve my problem, I:

  • Applied/installed all the possible available updates on my BizTalk Server machine;
  • I manually download and installed the Security Update marked in the picture above;

After I restarted my BizTalk Server machine, this problem was fixed.

Author: Sandro Pereira

Sandro Pereira lives in Portugal and works as a consultant at DevScope. In the past years, he has been working on implementing Integration scenarios both on-premises and cloud for various clients, each with different scenarios from a technical point of view, size, and criticality, using Microsoft Azure, Microsoft BizTalk Server and different technologies like AS2, EDI, RosettaNet, SAP, TIBCO etc. He is a regular blogger, international speaker, and technical reviewer of several BizTalk books all focused on Integration. He is also the author of the book “BizTalk Mapping Patterns & Best Practices”. He has been awarded MVP since 2011 for his contributions to the integration community.